UPDATE: Since I first posted this delicious and versatile recipe in 2011, it has become my #1 most popular post ever with over a quarter million views. Read on to find out why.
Time for another Oma classic. File this one under easy weeknight dinner. As an avid follower of the Tao of Oma, you know that Oma is all about simple, easy, hearty food. Her Sour Cream Chicken is no exception. Wait until you see just how Oma this recipe is.
The chicken is tender and flavorful. The topping is savory and delicious. This chicken is a hit with adults and children alike.
- 2 pounds chicken breasts or tenders (Oma prefers breasts)
- 1 1/2 cups of Pepperidge Farm Herbed Stuffing, the crumbles not the cubes (Oma accepts no substitutes)
- 1 cup (approximately) of full fat sour cream
- kosher salt
- freshly ground pepper
- garlic powder
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cubed
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. This is classic Oma in that it is less about the recipe and more about the process. Lay the chicken close together on a foil lined baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
Coat with a thick layer of sour cream.
Top that with the seasoned Pepperidge Farm breadcrumbs and then dot with the butter.
Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 35 minutes for chicken tenders or up to an hour for chicken breasts.
Its ready when the chicken is cooked through and the breadcrumbs are nicely browned.
In fact, the best part may be the breadcrumbs, even the crusty parts that kind of fall around the edges of the pan. The chicken is moist with lovely crunchy buttery bits on top.
Other Oma Classics include:
- Oma’s One Hour Spaghetti Sauce (featured in Gourmet Weekly Roundup)
- Oma’s Cheesy Tuna Casserole
- Oma’s Old-Fashioned Pot Roast
- Oma’s Old-Fashioned Rouladen
- Oma’s Whisky Sour